Monday, October 29, 2012

Keeping Track of Memories



Most people, whether still in college or many years graduated, would agree that college is the prime of life. Because this era and will pass quickly before your eyes if you let it, it’s important to preserve the moments that meant the most to you. I believe memories to be the greatest treasure man can have. However, just like material treasure can be lost, stolen or tarnished, memories can fade, be twisted, or forgotten altogether.

I have found in my own experiences five methods for memory preservation that act as high security safes for your most treasured college memories. I encourage you to pick one (or several) and stick to it! I can guarantee you will not regret it.

1. Journaling. I began regularly keeping a journal since my senior year in high school Journaling is a beautiful stress reliever, and I have loved the opportunity to look back through my entries to see myself mature and grow in my friendship with the King. I also love reading about the details of life at different points in my existence and letting my mind wander backwards.

2. Bulletin board make-ing. I made a bulletin board over the summer to commemorate my trip to California. Complete with pictures, mementos, and some cute-ness here and there, my bulletin board is overflowing with things that trigger fun memories of the trip. Keep a collection of artifacts to post on a bulletin board of your own such as photos, take out menus, stuff received in the mail, anything that will bring memories of your own adventures to mind.

3. Chronicling. Basically journaling on a much larger scale. At the close of each school year, I always open a Word document and write about all the important events that occurred that year in story form. Chronicling can be tedious and a bit overwhelming, but I find once I start, I’m easily lost in my own recollection of days gone by. I hope to have my own children read my stories someday.

4. Smashbooking. A little like scrapbooking, but way more random. Instead of meticulously planned pages like you would find in a scrapbook, my smashbook is full of odds and ends relevant to my life all in one place. This includes concert wristbands, old pictures, magazine clippings, notes from friends and much more. Smashbooking lets you smash tangible tidbits of life into a book while having a heck of a lot of fun doing it.

5. Picture taking. My photography teacher in high school defined a photo as “a slice of life.” Perfect definition. Take that camera of yours everywhere and capture the people, places and events that you want to remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment