Monday, June 24, 2013

Pop-theology: "We Can't Stop"

Like many other high-profile Disney Channel alumni deciding to take U-turn on their kid-friendly image, Miley Cyrus is giving the world an eye-full. And, like watching a derailed train hurdling straight for an ice-cream truck, the world can't look away.
Back in the day. 
I was driving along, minding my own business a few nights ago when I heard my trusty driving companion known as "The Radio" announce Miley's new song. Curiosity peaked, volume up.

It’s our party we can do what we want
It’s our party we can say what we want
It’s our party we can love who we want
We can kiss who we want

We can see who we want

Oh boy.

That ice cream truck is doomed.

After some more rhetoric concerning girls with big butts and bathroom lines (not those kind of lines, the other kind), a few verses really caught my attention. 

Remember only God can judge us
Forget the haters cause somebody loves ya

Hmmm. She may have a point there. It is true only God's opinion truly matters. With that said, I find it interesting how easily the phrasing just rolls off the tongue. I don't know about anyone else, but Judgement Day, to me, sounds like no joking matter. In fact, it kind of scares the fire and brimstone out of me. In Matthew, Jesus says we will have to take responsibility for EVERY word and thought and action. Whoa. Thinking about standing in front of the Creator of the Universe, the Alpha and Omega, the Lord of Lords, who knew me before I was born...WOW. I cannot even fathom that conversation. 

How often to I say and do and think things that are not pleasing to God, but I just try to shake off the Holy Spirit because, hey, it doesn't matter, somebody loves me, its not a big deal, etc?

The song continues...

It’s our party we can do what we want to
It’s our house we can love who we want to
It’s our song we can sing if we want to

It’s my mouth I can say what I want to

Miley, Miley, Miley. I hate to burst your bubble, but if the whole world operated under this philosophy, it would have burned to the core about....1,000 years ago.

The idea that its your party, your house, your song, your mouth, so to the incinerator with what everybody else thinks, as well as what happens as a result, is pretty backwards. In American culture, the notion of instant gratification without thought to consequence (see also, YOLO) is a common lifestyle. Many believe that, A. my choices only affect me, and, B. my choices do not impact the future. 

What Miley fails to consider is the law as old as time known as "cause and effect." Actions have repercussions. We (myself included) often get stuck in "the now." It is an easy mindset to fall into, because "now" is all we see. However, in 2 Corinthians, Paul states, "but we look not to the things that are seen, but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are temporary, but the the things that are unseen are eternal." So why are we wasting time doing things that "feel good now" but have absolutely no eternal value? 

One of these days, we will all look back on our lives and how we've spent them. One of my biggest fears is getting to this place and realizing I was a bad steward of time. When I stand before God when my time on earth has ended to give an account, I want nothing more than for Him to smile and say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant." 

Where in my life do I need to re-prioritize to make sure I'm not stuck in "today"?

Miley, though I don't agree with your philosophy, thanks for getting me to pause and evaluate life for a second. 

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I really enjoyed looking through you great blog.

    If you get a sec, check out my latest post 'Edgy Chic'.

    Have a great day!
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!

    You're blog is so fun to follow! Hope all is well!

    Chelsea Cornell (Fast)

    ReplyDelete