Saturday, September 22, 2012

Christmas friDay


Fridays are typically good days. Nobody can argue with that. Fridays are electric with excitement for the weekend, like Christmas Eve is the "get hype" day for Christmas. But THIS Friday was different. THIS Friday, was Christmas friDay.

Chapel felt like waking up. Christian hip hop artist Andy Mineo spoke on the topic of God's forgiveness, reiterating that we are saved by God's grace alone. Sitting in my seat, with my Bible opened to Ephesians 2 on my lap, I realized I've been in a spiritual wrestling match with the idea of grace. My feelings of unworthiness of God's love had left me trying to work myself into His good graces. The burden I carried by trying (and failing) to be perfect to get God's attention was heavier than my green bag filled with World Lit books (those things are massive). The message on forgiveness and salvation by grace prompted me to finally drop the bag. I've been given a free gift that I could never earn on my own, and this gives me more joy than any child on Christmas morning. 

As Christmas friDay continued, I shared good conversation with two brand-spanking-new friends. Both of these girls have beautiful souls and a spiritual maturity I found refreshing. As I listened to their stories I felt like I was having Christmas-y fellowship by a cozy fire. The opportunity hear their hearts was an absolute blessing.  

I also got two literal presents on this fine day. A new Fossil wallet and hipster skirt were wrapped in a text message from my mama that I received during class today. I was internally squealing like 12 year olds at a Bieber concert.  

I cannot remember a Christmas without sweets, and I was supplied with a tasty treat as my day continued. Sitting at McConn, I heard two of my favorite words called in conjunction above the hum of conversation. Being six feet from the counter, I figured my chances were slim. But when "FREE DRINK!" I heard for the second time, I sprung to action. The concoction? One of my favorites: seasonal pumpkin pie chai. What are the chances!?

After excitedly proclaiming to my roommates and Twitter about my Christmas friDay blessings, we set out to honor a new family tradition: weekend dinner at Casa Brava. I could liken chips and salsa and Arroz Con Pollo to stuffing and turkey, because my excitement level for both meals is probably abnormal. Laughter and conversation sprinkled over the meal adds the perfect final ingredient, and with those stunning seven, the laughter never ceases. 

I AM BLESSED!


No comments:

Post a Comment