Monday, April 29, 2013

Pop-theology: When God shows up in pop culture


Living in the same house as a 10-year-old four months out of the year, I get an all-access pass to all things One Direction round the clock. I also am kept up-to-date with concert ticket prices and new songs by the “too cute” boyband. The latter I have actually come to appreciate, because, in all honesty, the little British buggers aren’t so bad.

{I don't always take "selfies," but when I do, I make sure cardboard celebrities are included.}
The other day, I was in my car singing along to the 1D “oldie but goodie” “What Makes You Beautiful” and mentally doing the Just Dance routine to the song (it happens). When I started really listening in to the lyrics, however, I could have shouted “eureka!” While the song is obviously originally intended for a bashful British babe, the message of could also be a love song from God to His children.

“You’re insecure,
don’t know what for,”

At times, I find myself talking to God with my head down, insecure due to daily screw-ups and hang-ups. But, God looks past my imperfections and sees me as His own.

“Don’t need make-up,
to cover up,
being the way that you are is enough.”

I don’t need to work extra hard to please God. All He asks is that I love Him with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.

“You light up my world like nobody else”

God loves humanity SO MUCH! We are so special to Him. Otherwise He wouldn’t have let His own son be brutally killed just so we could be with Him forever.

“You don’t know,
Oh, oh,
You don’t know you’re beautiful.”

We don’t see ourselves the way God sees us!

“If only you saw what I can see,
You’ll understand why I want you so desperately,
Right now I’m looking at you and I can’t believe,
You don’t know,
Oh, oh,
You don’t know you’re beautiful.”

God wants a friendship with every person so badly because of His extravagant love. 

You are beautiful in God’s eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment