Friday, August 24, 2012

The Soundtrack of My Summer



The familiar feeling of nostalgia has descended upon me once again as the days grow shorter and the nights cooler. Yes, summer is quickly drawing to a close, leaving incredible memories trailing behind it. Many of these memories are attached to the songs that served as background music for my life the months of May through August: the soundtrack of my summer (Thanks for that line, Boys like Girls).

1. Charlie Brown – Coldplay
 One of my first summer song obsessions! I listened to it on repeat for weeks.

2. Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World – Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
Try to not smile while listening to this song. It is impossible. I smiled and listened while enthusiastically starting creative projects at the beginning of summer that I have yet to finish.

3. Banana Pancakes – Jack Johnson
An oldie but goodie. I learned this summer that Jack Johnson lives in Hawaii and loves to surf ALONG WITH making beautiful music. What a life. I sang along with “Banana Pancakes” while baking cupcakes one afternoon in May.

4. Danza Kuduro – Don Omar, Lucenzo
Can’t help but dance when “Danza Kuduro” starts playing! It also has a way of making the listener want chips and salsa. Which is why I blasted it while making mango salsa that one time.

5. Stare Into the Sun – Graffiti6
Heard it on the radio on a sunny day and was instantly smitten. Listened to it 482 times a day. The End.

6. Country Girl – Luke Bryan
I spent a good amount of time down south in June, where Luke Bryan is regarded as royalty. I danced to “Country Girl” before the start of the first cheerleading camp I worked.

7. Let’s Go – Calvin Harris feat. Ne-Yo
This song legitimately gets me pumped. Listened to it right before running a 5k on the 4th of July and right after I put it at the top of my workout playlist.

8. Me Without You – TobyMac
My little sisters and I love it. Volume was always cranked in the car when it came on the radio! I also adore the lyrics, so much truth to them.

9. Thought of You – Justin Bieber
      “Thought of You” is my personal favorite on The Bieb’s new CD. The release of that album was an event in and of itself.

10. Wide Awake – Katy Perry
Saw the Katy Perry movie with my best friends on opening night, which made me want to be her best friend. Still can’t get enough of this song.

11. Runaway – Mat Kearney
My trip to California was narrated by Mat Kearney’s voice. It perfectly accompanied watching the sparkling Pacific Ocean roll by on our drive up the coast.

12. Stole My Heart – One Direction
My ten-year-old sister is obsessed with “1D,” and after being forced to watch their concert DVD, I decided the cute little Brits aren’t so bad. ESPECIALLY if you listen to the songs on their album the radio doesn’t play.

It has been a good summer indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment