Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kate the Accumulator's Top Spring Break Picks


Strutting through the airport last week, I think I had three different boarding passes stuffed into my wallet at one point. Something about the slick pieces of paper brandishing proof of my travels seemed too sacred to throw out. This was not an odd phenomenon, as I sometimes feel a little like a faulty vacuum cleaner: picking up random junk as I go through life trying not to trip over things. My incredible week in Florida for Spring Break with my main compadres was no different. Over the course of seven sunshine saturated days, I accumulated...

5 boarding passes
2 take-menus
2 church bulletins
1 free CD
3 seashells
1 piece of a coconut
....and that was just the stuff I found!

I have often heard it said to collect moments, not things. For Kate the Accumulator, however, this is much easier said than done. But on this past Spring Break trip, the memories in my heart way outnumber the objects in my pockets.

13 Best Moments from Spring Break 2013

13.  Celebrity status at church. Being the only attendees under the age of 65 at Jo's grandparent's church, we were asked to stand and introduce ourselves in front of the entire congregation! Our new elderly neighbors for the week seemed so happy to see us. The feeling was definitely reciprocated!

12. Making a friend on the beach. I met Zach the half frog half dog half human half fish when he hopped past my towel one afternoon. Poor little guy had no one to play with, so I struck up a conversation. Then he asked for my phone number. Then he asked if I could come over. He was sweet, don't get me wrong. I just wasn't feeling the 16 year age difference.

11. Old TV show reminiscing. We literally spent an hour laying on the guest bed trying to remember theme songs to old TV shows. Frustrating, but awesome.

10. Tuesday beach day. Iced coffee in hand, sun on skin, not a cloud in the sky, and Greek food for lunch. Perfection.

9. Fish tacos and live music. Nuff said.

8. Dinner conversations with Grandma and Grandpa Cobbs. I could have listened to the two of them all day! Their bits of wisdom sprinkled with hilarious comments kept us constantly entertained. They were the absolute sweetest, making us feel special all week long, especially when they laughed at our "stories." 

7. Operation Scare Lauren. Lauren walks into bathroom. Nicole, Jo, and I squeeze into closet. Lauren searches house. Lauren walks back in. Closet door opens. Mission accomplished.

6. Tornado trek to McDonald's. We braved four lanes of traffic, winds that could flatten a small town, a toxic swamp, and a woman with a lazy eye to get our McFlurry fix one afternoon. So worth it.

5. Card night. 7's and euchre for hours with some ice cream on the side. The four of us were feeling hyper and mischievous...you know, that mood where EVERYTHING is funny? Even black suits and crow mating calls?

4. Beach tumbling. I still got it. ;)

3. Deep conversations till almost 3 in the morning. Nothing beats a great talk with your best friends after a good movie. 

2. Falling asleep every night exhausted and happy, knowing the next day would be even better than the one before.

1. Marveling at how God brought two sets of roommates together who barely knew each other at this point last year. I would have never guessed that the girls living right across the hall from me in which I only exchanged casual hello's would end up being some of my best friends. 


No comments:

Post a Comment