Friday, February 1, 2013

Snowquiescence

As I stepped out into the January atmosphere, I met the morning for the second time. While many were still beginning their day, mine was well underway, as I had been coaxed out of sleep for class over two hours prior. The eyes had been rubbed and the coffee made, but I still felt I had yet to truly begin. Leaving the building wrapped in my silky down coat, a white blanket of clouds softly sprinkled snow onto the ground. As I walked, I became abundantly aware of the hush that had accompanied the accumulation under my feet. It was almost as if each snowflake absorbed all sound, swallowing up every shout and footstep from across campus. The stillness was sweet. With flakes surrounding me and my steady exhalations the only sound to be heard, I felt a calmness saturating the air. The sound of snowqueiscence.


I am generally not winter's biggest fan, but there is just something about snowquiescence that feels magical. Looking out from inside a warm house at a world sealed in white always has a peaceful effect. Combine it with a comfy sweater, a hot drink, a journal, and the instrumental version of England by The National, and you've got yourself a recipe for a perfect winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment