Wednesday, September 11, 2013

3 Non-Techy Things I've Learned from my iPhone


The Apple has once again been chucked into the global lake of technology when the iPhone 5S and 5C were officially announced, and I officially won the round of Battleship. Cue worldwide fanfare as the splash creates a digital tidal wave.

My feelings on emerging technology are ambivalent. My iPhone is certainly a handy piece of equipment, and I can give you the entire spiel of why mobile apps are an essential marketing tool (for $25, of course), but in the corner of my brain housing a rocking chair and knitting needles, I keep my “old-fashioned” preferences.

Now, contrary to popular belief, one neither has to completely accept or reject technology in their daily dealings. I think a 26-year-old guy who doesn’t remember how to use a pencil is just as unfortunate as the 72-year-old woman without a digital alarm clock. Like many other facets of life, I’ve learned technology is another area where balance is essential.

1. Downloading your entire library to one place is super convenient, but what happens when you want to show of your collection to a friend? How anti-climactic to see a screen full of titles as opposed to this:

2. Getting emails to my phone rocks, especially when they say class is cancelled. But, I fear the feeling of opening the mailbox to find a crisp, hand-written letter addressed to you will soon be lost.

3. Posting a way-artsy, vintage photograph on Instagram is a creative way self-expression, but, I’ve found, the things in life worth being captured in a photo are the things that are impossible to capture.


Bring on the iPhone 5S, 5C, 7J, 13xy, but let us not forget that life exists outside of a screen. 

1 comment:

  1. Good points.
    also, i love books and bookstores and writing in books and old books and new books and shelves of books and loaning books. I've used a kindle/ipad to read a book or two, but it felt, your wording is helpful here, anti-climactic

    ReplyDelete