Sunday, May 19, 2013

Carpe Diem Project Update

Something about the mixture of a cloudless sky, pink lemonade, a brand new pair of shorts and eyes that actually feel awake makes me want summer as my home. If only I could live in the essence of summer, wear the sunshine as perfume, walk to the soundtrack of live music in the park, and sleep under the stars every night after a dinner of sweet tea, barbeque chicken and watermelon....

....until I got a massive sunburn and my allergies suffocated me and I weighed 400 pounds. But hey, a girl can dream, right?

Since my summer began a few short weeks ago, I've been attempting to carpe the diems out of the first chunk of my summer. This has meant...

-Limited social media usage
-Limited TV watching
-Lots of reading
-Lots of creativity

And the results are in!

1. I am able to fall asleep faster and sleep better at night. Reading before bed is much more relaxing than having a computer screen shoved in your face.
2. Books are no longer overwhelming. I thought the bookworm in me was long dead and gone, but by limiting my screen time, it was revived at last.
3. Creativity skyrockets when mindlessness plummets.
4. The project is doable. Once staying off mindless media was graced with the kiss of routine, the habit was broken.
5. Without the distraction of impulsive social media checking, I've been able to make some memories that DON'T involve status updates or relationship changes. I'd take a late night trampoline session, a crazy good suspense story, driveway track meets, random dance parties and ice cream runs over sitting on my badonk any day.

Tomorrow marks the start of phase 2. In less than 12 hours my first internship will begin! I am beyond excited for the opportunity to practice my PR prowess and do what I love. Stay tuned folks! Time to get down to business. 


No comments:

Post a Comment